Monday, October 7, 2013

Helping those who've helped you first.

          Today, I was blessed with the opportunity to help my homeschool teacher move her mother's furniture into her house. My teacher's mother, who is Rachel Edwards' grandmother (http://rachelisedwards.blogspot.com/ ) is moving into their home because she is no longer able to live by herself, and it was up to my teacher and her family to convert their house of 5 into a house for 6. She  and her husband with the help of family friends have spent weeks organizing time, money and the resources to make this move happen. Luckily, I got off work today at 2:00 PM and was able to help out all evening today. I looked around and was AMAZED at all the teamwork that was happening. Gran (Rachel Edward's Dad's mother) was taking care of their dogs downstairs while we carried all the furniture into Nanny's ( Rachel Edward's Mom's mother) new room, my teacher ( Mrs. Edwards) was cleaning out their garage to make room for some of the furniture upstairs, and Lacey was cheerleading for me and Jacob while we took over carrying the furniture inside because Mr. Edwards and Jacob and Lacey's dad took a breather from working. Rachel did help out later, but in the mean time, she was repairing a crack in her windshield. After we all got the U-haul unloaded, we had to drive down the road a ways and unload the remaining furniture and boxes into a storage building. We all formed an assembly line and got everything stored away in no time. It was great to able to help my teacher today because she has done SO MUCH to help me over the years that I have been a student under her. That's the important aspect that I want you to take from my experience today. Try giving some time to someone you know who could really use some assistance. Whether it be a friend who needs help with a homework assignment or a project, someone who just needs someone to talk to, or in my case, someone who means a lot to you that is in the process of moving another family member into their house. All of us are so tired and weary from today, but we wouldn't change helping out the Edwards family today for anything. We all bonded together like the huge adopted family that we are. Although I will be graduating in May and won't be able to see the Edwards and Powers almost everyday, We will always consider each other family and seek chances to fellowship. So! my challenge for you is to help someone you know out and/or schedule a day to get together with some friends you know and do something that requires teamwork. Remember, there is power in numbers! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment